KEKK Wiersma Family Photo, 2011

KEKK Wiersma Family Photo, 2011
New Family Photo-Nov 2011

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Karen's Crock Pot French Toast

Today I had my last "mom" (MOPS) day at our church and decided to make something different for us ladies. Once again, I dug out my crockpot and see what I could make.
Crock pot French Toast it is !
It takes about 4-6 hours to bake in the crockpot, so make sure your timing is right. For me, I had to get up at 3:15am to mix up the batter and turn on the crockpot for it to be ready for 9:00-9:30am ish. I am not aware of any crockpot that has an automatic timer on it. But man, I wished I had it for last night ! But I was told, that its possible to attach an automatic regular light timer to the crockpot and voila ! it will automatically come on or shut off. I have yet to look into this !!!
This is great if you have plans to have company over in the morning or for a brunch.
You will need:
---- 1 whole loaf of bread. ( i used 1/2 of Italian bread and 1/2 raison cin. bread)
-----1 dozen eggs
-----2 tsp Vanilla
-----4 cups of milk ( u can use 3 cups of soy and 1 cup of heavy cream)
----- 1/4 tsp salt ( i did not use salt --)
-----2 tsp cinnamon
---1/4 cup brown sugar
---( optional 1/4 walnuts or other nuts )
Grease down your crock pot very well with butter, shortening or cooking spray. ( if you dont- you will be scraping forever ) Slice the bread into triangles and alternate the breads in the crockpot.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla together. Pour on top of bread. ( optional - is to dunk the bread front and back and then layer it )
Cook over low for 4-6 hours. The bread is done when the break has soaked up all of the liquid and the egg is cooked. The bread will expand.
After 6 hours - i had a bit of liquid left over, so I took the top off for 15 min or longer , the liquid was gone and the french toast was perfect.
If you have a smaller crock pot, scale the back a bit and use perhaps 1/2 loaf of bread !
Yummy !
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment